Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 2012

So, having spent much of last month reading about training and racing, I was able to piece together my training schedule for the year.
I decided to start with the periodization and macro-cycles from Joe Friel's Cyclist Training Bible, using the sample workouts and techniques from Training/Racing with a Power Meter.

Also acquired a new trainer, the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. At first I thought I made a mistake buying it; touted by many online as the best trainer to perform high wattage intervals, I was disappointed to spin out past 900W - cadence of 173! I've since tightened the resistance unit, ordered the larger flywheel, and decided that for true 5-10 second max power tests I'll have to be on the road.

It was definitely a difficult month, between work and family stressors, and long base hours indoors. That said, I feel stronger on the bike and am seeing my various interval maximums increased over December.
Started rest week now, and although I've mostly done endurance zone work, I feel I could improve on my FTP test.

This month has continued to pleasantly surprise me with above seasonal weather.
Yes, there was a solid week of -30, but it was surrounded by weeks in the plusses, even double digits!
Managed an outdoor ride with Mike and Darryl on the 8th, and a solo trek up the road to Nepal on the 29th!


Still waiting for ABA to release their calendar for the year so I can finalize my training dates, and decide on which triathlon I could do. I'm thinking about the Lake Chestermere sprint in mid July, and possibly the one in Banff in September.

Numbers for January:
  • Bike: 38 hours, 24 workouts, 208 outdoor kms
  • Run: 4 hrs, 6 workouts, 45 kms
  • Swim: 2 hrs, 4 workouts
  • Total: 44 hours




No comments:

Post a Comment