Saturday, August 6, 2011

JayLap ITT

Saturday, August 6th

40km Time Trial, out and back, directly South to North then back to South.
It was a chilly, windy morning. Wind readings in Calgary were:

11:00 Sunny NNW 17
10:00 Sunny N 32
9:00 Mostly Cloudy N 35 gust 52


And I can only presume this would more intensified in Acme, AB.
My start time was around 9:30! (This will play into effect later).

Mike picked up me, then Darryl, and after arguing with the lady at Timmies and finding the route with the most construction possible, we arrived in Acme. After pinning new race numbers on and getting dressed, I had maybe 10-15 minutes to warm up. Wouldn't you know it, start times were delayed 5 minutes, so I probably spent more time waiting at the start then I did actually warming up!

Anyway, after a healthy push off from Scott (who was volunteering at the start), off I went.
I knew my 1 min man was a very fast ITTer and would not likely catch him.
I knew the guy behind me wasn't the strongest, and the guy 2 minutes behind me, Ian DeWolfe was a fast ITTer, AND in my omnium race. Also knew that Andrew Paul, also in omnium, was only 4 minutes back.

Nonetheless, I decided to listen to the theory and start the race in a comfortable pace. With the gusty headwind and general incline the whole first half, this resulted in some pretty slow speeds.
I did manage to pass a couple guys, which I think were my 3 min and 6 min men. And I also got passed by Ian D around km 15, but kept in close till the turnaround point.

I felt really good at the half, unlike last year, and the tailwind was still very strong.
I managed some very fast splits, but noticed around km 30 the wind had started dying down. Doh!
Anyway, never did catch Ian, but nobody else passed me there after either.

Finished with a time around 1:07:30 on my Garmin, which is about a minute slower than last year.
It certainly wasn't this windy though. Mike was also a minute or two slower than last year.
No results yet, but off to the Crit in about an hour!

Turns out, that performance earned me a disappointing 14th...

No comments:

Post a Comment